Don't get me wrong, I love my KX3 for the portability. That's why I chose it over the K3.

It sounds like they have the budget for a full K-line -- that will get them on the air.

Get them excited about building antennas.

.... or show them the cool kit options. Simple stuff to start, maybe station accessories to whet their appetites.

Talk about some of the really cool tiny stuff that can talk half-way around the world.

Find out where their skills lie, and talk about homebrewing that way. I don't do much with hardware, but I've done more than my share of homebrewing in software.

73 -- Lynn