Big money business types usually like to be told what to buy, and will spend a lot on a single recommendation (as they often do in business) and totally miss the fun learning about radios, antennas, towers, and accessory OPTIONS and CHOICES. Some guys rush through the process of building a station, which I feel is a big part of the hobby. Some guys figure they are better hams because they wrote a big check.

My personal ham hero is the regular guy working man with 300 confirmed entities, running barefoot with a $1000 radio, and a couple of well made and thoughtfully designed home made antennas. He has researched and agonized over every aspect of his station, and never makes an unjustified purchase., He develops good operating skills, and can whip the pants off a lot of other guys running big power into big beams on tall towers.

Having an expensive station does not, itself, make a good operator, any more than owning a super sports car makes one a good driver. I wonder how many of these big dollar suits will be on the air a year from now...

Just MY take.