I started with (and still am using) a K3/10 (gets to 12 watts out) and have
found it a lot of fun doing DX.  Once I get to my new QTH in a condo in Chicago
and figure out what I can do as far as an antenna, I will put my K3/10 back on
the air.  So that is a possible rig for a new ham.

73 de Dave KJ6CBS