Although Raspberry Pi is indeed a Linux system, the cpu is not Intel so any of
the software that is available for
Linux must be built from sources on the Raspberry Pi system (unless it is
provided by rPI's distro).

Not every ham radio operator is equipped to build large complicated
applications from sources.  Even though
various Linux distros make this easy, it does not mean that everything is easy.
 So, to get a package buildable
on Raspberry Pi Linux may require a bit more programming and Linux/Unix/GNU
knowledge than typically held
by the everyday ham.  This includes fooling around with the configure script or
at worse making source changes
to the software.

Plus, there are some available Linux packages that may require language
compilers that are not available on
the Raspberry Pi distro.

73, phil, K7PEH
- 15 years of Linux development experience
- 30 years of Unix development experience
- 45 years as a professional programmer
- But, I admit to less than 1 year of rpi development experience