For control of the K3-line I don't think jitter and latency of the IP
connection generally is a big problem.
The Elecraft software for remote control of the KPA500 and KAT500  is very
user-friendly.
The difficult part for a CW operator is in producing nice CW and in obtaining a
 good quality CW audio.
I have used RC for many years and think I have quite some experience for CW but
very little for SSB.

I have been using K1EL Winkey Remote for a while and it's my impression that it
is performing very well (basically similar to using a keyboard). It connects
two winkeyers over IP and is described on K1EL website.
Whereas I have heard quite many RemoteRig CW signals that sounded "odd" with
occasionally dashes being way too long, I think I can truly say that a solution
based on two linked Winkeyers will not have that problem (but it might have
other problems).

If someone has made a thorough comparison I would be very interested.

There is a fundamental difference in the way the two solutions operate. The
Winkey Remote is locally decoding and sending the character across the IP as a
decoded character which is converted to a CW character in the Winkeyer
connected to the rig.
It will therefore only transmit a valid CW character (character set defined by
K1EL). If you send an illegal character (by mistake or by sending some national
special non-recognizable characters), the Winkeyer will output nothing but just
writes an asterix in the decoded window. The keying will be indistinguishable
from "keyboard CW", which may sound boring for some. If you keep ahead in the
buffer, you can only insert space between characters (one space element) and
between words (three space elements). If you want to insert a bit more space
e.g. between sentences,  you will have to let the buffer go empty. With some
training you can make it sound fairly nice. And it gives you a good feeling of
using a paddle for CW and of course the flexibility having eyes and one hand
free while sending CW.

I use an USB- Winkeyer in the shack (connected to a notebook) and a
Winkey-compatible keyer from G3ZLP (half price). The solution is true low cost
- unlike the RemoteRig. I have operated from OX-land with a ping time around
120 msec and from various places in OZ mostly with ping times about 20-30 msec.
There is no big difference. The biggest contribution for the delay in CW comes
from the decoding in the local Winkeyer - it is close to half a second and a
bit annoying if you encounter a very eager/impatient  CW operator. It is not
for true QSK operation (even if you with the K3 can listen through your own
sending). Maybe RemoteRig is superior in that respect.

For the audio I use IP-Sound (which connects over a VPN) and can operate from 8
kbit (GSM or PCM coding) using about 16 kbit/s with a fine audio quality for
CW. Much better than Skype.
My friend Steph F5NZY says he has good results with using the VoIP in
Teamviewer. I use Teamviewer for access (rig control) to the shack, but I do
not get acceptable audio from Teamviewer VoIP.

If the internet connection is such that you have drop-outs of the audio in
Skype, I think you better forget about using any remote solution.
I would be pleased to be proven wrong.

I have no financial or other interest in any of the products mentioned above.

/73 de OZ4UN
Paul