RemoteRig/RRC uses UDP (Realtime Data Protocol) for Audio, and I'm sure a
lot of other stuff.  This is the best mode for most of what we are doing
with remote ham radio.
Signaling is modified Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), also UDP.

All that you need to know is that it will do fairly well over pretty rotten
internet connections.  Speed itself, as well as bandwidth, are important,
but latency and jitter are what
is going to play havoc with a quality connection.  If you are doing remote
in-country in the US, you are not going to see many issues (unless you are
on a wireless Multipoint-to-point
network or any other network using TDM/time slicing techniques.).

I'm amazed at how fast the Microbit gear recovers after a network loss.
 They have done a good job.

The K3 - RRC combo is awesome for remote!

73, Gerry W1VE

Gerry Hull, W1VE   | Hancock, NH USA | +1-603-499-7373
AKA: VE1RM | VY2CDX | VO1CDX | 6Y6C | 8P9RM
<http://www.yccc.org> <http://www.yccc.org/>
 <http://www.facebook.com/gerryhull>
<https://plus.google.com/+GerryHull/posts>     <http://www.twitter.com/w1ve>