Here's some real-world experience from the three of the six remotes we
operated this past weekend from WRTC:

Our Network at WRTC HQ: Either 100/9 Mbps WRTC-only or 20/20 Mbps shared
with the hotel network.

PR1T: ~384 Kbps using multiple technologies

Typical ping time:  170-190 mS   Number of routing hops to PR1T:  >30 (!)
Typical jitter: less than 20mS

How it worked:   We obviously had some  router issues between us.  When it
worked, it worked very well.
However, we would have dropouts where we would loose communications
completely between the sites for 5-30 seconds.
We kept a ping window up all the time so we could test.

The RRC boxes allow you to adjust CW sending so that it sounds normal on
the other end.
In the PR1T case, we used the K3/0 mini for all the audio and rig control,
but we used TeamViewer to operate N1MM remotely.
We used N1MM to send automated CQs and exchanges... this worked well, as we
were sending keystrokes only.

SK9HQ@SK3W: ~284 kbps asymmetric DSL

Typical ping time:  170-195 mS:  Number of routing hops to SK3W: ~15
Typical jitter: lless than 10mS

How it worked:  Very well.   We could send CW from the RRC locally, and it
sounded good.  I adjusted the RRC to take the
transit times into account.  We also used TeamViwer to control WinTest
locally at SK3W (easy, and it also gave us all the
local station control interfaces at SK3W)

W1VE@K2LE/1:  1.5/.7 Mbps  asymmetric DSL

Typical ping time: 50-55 mS; Number of routing hops to K2LE/1: ~10
Typical jitter: less than 10 mS

How it worked:  Flawlessly.  We networked N1MM over a VPN; Andy was at his
staiton in Vermont, and the second
operating position was at WRTC HQ.   All CW was sent from the remote.

Note that in all cases, we were able to run very high rates (>200/hr on
both CW and SSB); being remote did not affect the
ability to make fast QSOs.

>From prior experience, I can tell you that attempting to run RemoteRig and
a K3 over Multipoint-to-Point Wireless ISPs is very, very difficult.
In this case, you are on a TDM half-duplex connection, and there is HUGE
opportunity for dropouts and very high jitter. (which is going to be
a killer).

If you are trying to remote to a mountain top, find someone (like another
ham) who has high-speed (Fiber or Coax), and run a point-to-point
link on 5 GHz...  This can work very well, and there is a lot of cheap gear
out there to let you get the job done inexpensively.

For portable operation, 4G LTE cellular hotspots/modems work very well --
as long as location is fixed.  I've tried it mobile ( from New England)
and it is so-so, though we have a lot of mountains in New Hampshire.

Bottom line:  RemoteRig and K3s run very well over pretty low speed
connections.   Just make sure jitter is low and fairly consistent.  Latency
can
be fairly high, but you must adjust settings to compensate on CW.

73, Gerry W1VE

Gerry Hull, W1VE   | Hancock, NH USA | +1-603-499-7373
AKA: VE1RM | VY2CDX | VO1CDX | 6Y6C | 8P9RM
<http://www.yccc.org> <http://www.yccc.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gerryhull>
<https://plus.google.com/+GerryHull/posts>     <http://www.twitter.com/w1ve>