I have a MicroTik inexpensive router that supports QOS, and it helps.

However, all bets are off when using far-flung networks.

BTW, I've been exclusively VoIP with my landlines for over 10 years.
 Quality is very good (using the correct provider), and, yes, cost is very
low.  All the major telecoms in the US use VoIP for backhaul from cellular
sites -- it is far less expensive than TDM. I was happy to see RemoteRig
using SIP..  It works well.

Gerry Hull, W1VE   | Hancock, NH USA | +1-603-499-7373
AKA: VE1RM | VY2CDX | VO1CDX | 6Y6C | 8P9RM
<http://www.yccc.org> <http://www.yccc.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gerryhull>
<https://plus.google.com/+GerryHull/posts>     <http://www.twitter.com/w1ve>