On 7/29/2014 3:47 AM, Bob Snyder wrote:
On Jul 25, 2014, at 5:02 PM, W5UXH<chuck.broadw...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>Almost all of my packet loss is at hop #2 which is the first node past my
>router.
But are you seeing that packet loss reflected on every hop past that point?
I'm not going to disagree with Bob, he's right, I've just not seen pings and traceroute limited on internal routers very often, mostly on routers at the edge of an ISPs network.

What's between Hop #1 and Hop #2? A wire that is unique to Chuck's connection -- the wire from him to his ISP (and "wire" could be cable).

This is a great example of why I said don't ping something too far away: if that wire is a little bit flaky, it'll show a lot of packet loss.

No wire has a zero error rate, so an occasional dropped packet is no big deal, but if it's more than about 1% I'd be concerned.

73 -- Lynn