Mike,

Think of it as tuning up on top of an existing QSO. You're using Google's bandwidth, but not in any way that supports Google.

If lots of people "tune up" on top of Google, they have to address the unwanted traffic, or throw money at the problem (buy more bandwidth).

Courtesy suggest that you can dial off a bit, and still "tune" just fine.

A traceroute from my workstation goes through Verizon DSL, through Alter.net (belonged to MCI last I knew) and then to Google's network -- 11 hops through 3 networks.

Pinging Google means I'm measuring the performance of ten routers, Google's web server, and the wires in between.

So let's say I'm measuring loss between here and Google, and it's at Alter.net. I call them and say "your network is dropping packets" and they say "can I have your customer number?" If I call my provider (Verizon) they refer me to their SLA (Service Level Agreement). This is a consumer DSL line, so the SLA says "provisioned casually" which is internet-speak for "we promise that it might work some of the time."

If you're trying to figure out the performance of your connection (and diagnose/fix problems) you want to know what happens in the first few hops. You want near zero packet loss and low latency and jitter, and you can work with someone you pay if there is an issue.

Beyond that, you can only hope.

Speaking as someone who ran an ISP for a couple of decades, I'm most interested in the first router past my facility. Looking at the traceroute to Google, the 1st is my local router, 4th hop answers ping, the 5th doesn't respond to pings at all, and the 6th belongs to someone other than Verizon. I'd ping the 2nd or 4th.

Does that help?

73 -- Lynn

P.S. I'm not a big fan of Google, but the same applies to MSN/Microsoft, Yahoo!, or any other well-known site that is likely to be up at all times.