From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Randy
Diddel
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:44 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 bricked by F/W upgrade attempt

Hello Elecrafters,

First of all let me say that I have RTFM, and RTFHF (read the freaking help
file) before posting this. I have read many digests both from here and on
the Elecraft KX3 Yahoo group.  Greg (K2UM) has the same issue and so does
one other person (call, name uncertain).  So, I am posting this here in
hopes it has happened to someone and they have a solution.

In an attempt to update to 2.25, the MCU load failed.  If just froze during
the process.  After waiting a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes) to
complete,I closed the Utility and tried to manually restart the KX3. No
luck.  I don't have batteries in my KX3 so I pulled the power and then tried
to bring up the radio. "MCU LD" still stuck on the display. Tried the hold
power buttons down for 10 seconds and all that outlined in the Help topic in
the KX3 Utility. No luck.  As a last resort, I figured I would just EEINT
and reload config file or re-calibrate.  The radio will not EEINT.  I have
left power off overnight and tried many steps to revive it this morning.

I will mention that I had the PX3 in line but not on.  I now know to update
all firmware with the USB cable directly from computer to radio.

Unless Wayne, Eric, anyone else has any ideas, it looks like I may have to
send the rig home for repairs.

Thanks, 73.

K5RHD

/randy