On 11/28/2014 1:18 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
I have a long-time close friend who's retired from
the NBS in Boulder and was the project engineer
on the NBS #7 cesium standard.  After the recent
reflector postings about  WWV / WWVB I thought
I would get first-hand recent information from him.

[snip]

A number of years ago my late wife and I were touring the western states and went to Ft. Collins. I've looked at several big antenna sites during my travels (NAA, KVLY, VLA, Owens Valley, Guaymas Apollo Station, etc) and thought I'd try to see the WWV complex. So I called them up on the telephone and asked the guy who answered whether I could get a tour of the facility. He was somewhat incredulous and told me in no uncertain terms that they didn't give tours.

I said, "What a pity, I've visited other fun sites and gotten tours, I'm an engineer in the defense biz, a ham, yada yada."

He said, "Sorry". Then after an, "Ah shucks" from me, he said, "Well, I'll tell you what, there's a contractor doing some work here and the gate is unlocked. Drive in and take a look around, but stay in your car please."

Wes  N7WS