* On 2014 28 Nov 17:41 -0600, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> I heard from my time-nerd friends that the modulation scheme changes for
> a short period at night to allow a chance for older equipment to sync
> up. I don't know that for sure.

I have an older LaCrosse LCD clock that is my shack unit and started to
not keep good time around 18 months ago that I noticed at my former QTH.
Two years ago I added an amp and I presumed that I zapped something in
its receiver as when reset it will keep sync for a time and then lose
it.  Right now it is 27 seconds fast and was last set at the beginning
of April.

At work we have a newer LaCrosse LCD clock on the wall and here in the
kitchen I have an analog LaCrosse clock (it was purchased soon after the
shack clock) and both stay in sync.

> Technology Review said there are millions of pieces of equipment that
> use the older scheme.

It's possible that the shack clock is a victim of this change but the
other two were purchased around the same time.  One difference is that
the shack clock is set to GMT and the others are set to local time.  As
I recall the clocks sync around midnight so the shack clock could be
trying to sync five to six hours before the other two.  If WWVB is set
to account for this and runs the old protocol at midnight EST (10 PM
MST) through midnight PST (1 AM MST), then that would make sense to me.
I can try setting the shack clock to CST and see if it stays in sync, I
suppose.

73, Nate, N0NB