> I heard from my time-nerd friends that the modulation scheme changes for
> a short period at night to allow a chance for older equipment to sync
> up. I don't know that for sure.
>
> Technology Review said there are millions of pieces of equipment that
> use the older scheme.

This is indeed interesting stuff.   First I've heard of the change.

But I do have several automatically syncing clocks in the house and have
noticed that he syncing isn't as robust and dependable as it was some years
ago.   For example, switching from standard to daylight savings time and back
takes some of them a few days to accomplish, with some of them switching back
and forth from day to day before finally getting it right.  Don't think that
signal strength is the problem.

As someone else noted, it sure would be good to know which manufacturers use
the new standard!

73   Craig   AC0DS