Sorry - I wasn't clear. Of course it makes no sense to send "DE" prior to
calling anyone if the only thing you're sending is your own call.

I was referring mostly to folks who are calling CQ, especially those with
a bad fist, and under poor conditions. I've heard stations with an unusual
callsign who call CQ, send their call maybe three times with NO spacing
between iterations. If you miss the start of the call, it takes a lot of
work to sort out the longstringofpossibilitiesfromthemess. By simply
sending "CQ CQ CQ DE ..." the DE acts as a heads-up that "here is the
start of my call", which gives one a fighting chance.

Under good conditions, it's not a problem.

I'm not a contester - ever - though I like chasing DX and actually enjoy
trying to work out a strategy for pileups. And no, I never send "DE" under
those conditions -- or even my callsign again -- unless I know the DX
station has it wrong.

73, Dale
WA8SRA