Side-by-side works best for me.  Today I installed all right angle connectors.  I was going to build a nice long "ramp" (I'm handy and I'm not too bad at wood working) but instead I decided to order two more ready-made "ramps" from Steve W1SFR at http://kx3helper.com/ <http://kx3helper.com/>

I already have one for my CW Machine and I couldn't ask for more!  My intent is to line all three of them up, catty corner on my operating desk and at a 45 degree angle to me, with my laptop "mill" right in the center and my sideswiper, bug, straight key and paddle (ugh...) on my right and in that order ;-).  I may secure the ramps to each other or  may leave them standalone for more flexibility.

Each one of these "ramps" weighs about one ounce and is darn near immovable when pushing buttons.  In my opinion an elegant solution at a very modest cost.  What I like about Steve's solution is that I don't have to depend upon the KX3's legs to hold it on the Nifty stand + I can still operate it with my Adventure paddle attached to the front.  He has two models, one that permits KXPD3/Adventure paddle use and one that does not.

73, Stan WB2LQF
"KX3 Line"