With so many musicians on here, including the K1/K2 designer, maybe someone
would comment on why sidetones are the frequency they are. Actually, I have
been thinking more about how people choose the OFFSET they prefer more than
the sidetone, but it's the same idea.

It's interesting that you should say the sidetone was offensive because it
was not a pure sine wave. It is my understanding (not being a musician
myself), that humans prefer tones with harmonic content. Pure sine waves
sound simple and harsh to the ear. Maybe we would find that even with a
sidetone, there is some preferred harmonic content that makes it richer and
more pleasing to listen to. The same goes for the offset frequency. I, and
others, have commented on how much better the K1 sounds to us compared to
even the K2. I don't know what quality the K1 has that makes us think that
way, but there is something going on there that makes me choose the K1 for
ragchewing. Something makes it less fatiguing or otherwise more pleasant for
me, and it is independent of the speaker as I have traded external speakers
back and forth bewteen the K1 and the K2.

While thinking about it, and again, not being a musician, I began wondering
why piano keys are tuned to the very specific, but seemingly odd frequencies
they are. The lowest note on a piano is 28.5 Hz. Who decided something like
that? Esp. way back 200+ years ago. All of the white keys are harmonically
related to that bizarre 28 and 1/2 hz, now I know the reason for that, but
why did they choose that particular frequency? I don't know the answer to
that, but maybe it evolved over decades or even centuries of humans
responding well to certain notes and not to others. (I should have done some
basic research first, I guess). I doubt they were chosen at random and
probably really do seem to be frequencies humans prefer.

If that is so, why don't we pick offsets that correspond to musical notes?
Why do most of us pick some arbitrary offset rounded to the nearest 50 or
100. When we talk about offsets here, we are nearly always talking about 500
or 600 or 700 or the screeching 1000 hz or higher offset that comes fixed in
a lot of earlier rigs. Maybe the offset on the K1/K2 menus should be
calibrated in musical notes instead of arbitrary decade increments.

Eric
KE6US
www.ke6us.com