From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of dave
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:17 AM
To: Wayne Burdick; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] A way to show both "SPLIT" and "NON-SPLIT" warnings

I dunno . . .

What we are doing is attempting to address an op who is not paying
attention. But, if the op is not paying attention, how is any of this going
to have any effect? I think it is all a waste of time and effort.

If someone is not paying attention, they are not paying attention, and the
*only* cure is for them to being paying attention to what they are doing.

I don't think the various band aids being discussed will help. The guy is
still not going to be paying attention. He is distracted by something else.

I would suggest that the time spent, which might well be wasted on this
project, be used for something more productive. The K3 is fine as it is. It
is the op that is the problem, not the K3.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4

On 2/18/15 9:02 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Suppose we provide a menu option that, when engaged, results in this
behavior:

> - If you're NOT in SPLIT: keying the rig shows "NON.SPLT" on VFO B. (A
> is TX in this case.)
>
> - If you ARE in SPLIT: keying the rig shows "SPLIT" on VFO A. (B is TX
> in this case.)
>
> So, during keying in either case, the TX frequency is still displayed (you
need to know that), but the RX display is used to provide a warning.

> The time constant for these displayed messages would coincide with the
change in metering from RX to TX. Thus the "NON.SPLT" or "SPLIT" would come
on when you key, and stay on for at least 300 ms, the timer being
retriggered each time you key. To get an idea of what that would look like,
just watch the RX and TX metering scales as you key the radio.

> It's not a "flashing" message, per se, but if you were calling a DX
station on the order of every few seconds, the message would come and go to
get your attention.

> It has the advantage of being quite obvious since it changes the entire
contents of one of the VFO displays, and both are very close to the VFO A
knob, where the action is.

delivered to alderm...@windstream.net