"Joe Subich, W4TV" <li...@subich.com> wrote:

> > Providing an optional means of reinforcing split/non-split state is
> > in the tradition of design iteration -- using feedback about real
> > errors that people make, then minimizing them. That's why we're
> > having this conversation.
>
> The problem is that you're still trying to reinforce a negative.  The
> normal operation is simplex - none of the additional indicators will
> do anything to reinforce to an operator set for simplex that he
> *should be* split.

It is partly a matter of training, and you're right, we can't solve that part
of the problem.

But we *can* improve the visibility of split/non-split state information, and
there's a lot of evidence that even well-trained operators could benefit from
that. No one remembers to be in or out of split as required 100% of the time.

If we can solve part of the problem in firmware (by improving visibility), why
not? At least this thread might then only come up semiannually.

Meanwhile, the experts on split, including you, could help correct the other
part of the problem by writing educational articles about split operation for
ham magazines and web forums.

Wayne
N6KR