      From: Warren Merkel <hullspee...@gmail.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:40 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] How can I get more Programmable Macros? (feature
request?)

Wayne,

*Q1*: Did you just say that macros can be self-modifying!  I haven't
found the Write commands to do that yet.  Can you or any other really
smart guys elaborate?

For example, Let's say I'd like to create a toggle with a single macro.
I would like it to do this without having an external application
controlling things.  So, internal to the K3, a macro would perform one
or more functions, then before exiting, would rewrite itself to "unset"
what was just done.

Using the sample macro from Table 2 in the Programmers Reference for
"AMP ON" and let's just assign it to say, Macro 1

In pseudo-code, I'd like it to run:

    MN019;MP001;MN255;PC065;DB65;DB77;DB80;DB32;DB79;DB78

and then, before the macro finishes, I would like it to rewrite itself to:

    MN019;MP000;MN255;PC100;DB65;DB77;DB80;DB32;DB79;DB70;DB70

Each time Macro 1 is executed, it toggles the Logic 1 output and alters
the power output and displays "AMP ON" (or AMP OFF).    One button thus
becomes a toggle.  Press a button,  the external amp is enabled, and the
drive is lowered for it.  Press it again, and the amp is disabled and
drive is raised back.

Seems like all I need is a macro command that allows a new macro string
to be written, especially to the one running at the time :)
You could also have one macro change other macros in this way.    In
effect, you would only be limited by your imagination and what you can
get stored in 120 character pieces.  Hopefully we aren't limited in how
many FLASH Write operations can be performed to the EEPROM.  (1 million
or more maybe? )

Since the K3 Utility obviously has the ability to write to the macro
storage locations, would it be possible for macros to eat their own dog
food too?

If the macro language supports basic branching, I guess it could be done
inline to the macro and not have to rewrite itself so...

    *Q2*: Is there a way to do IIF (or IF/ELSE) branching in a single
macro?  (strictly a wishlist item)

    In other words:  IF (value) THEN (macro string) ELSE (another macro
string)

All this comes from my experience in making SCOM 7K controllers self
modify it's macros to make wonderful things happen.

Thanks!  This is about to become very interesting...

KD4Z - Warren
(K3 / P3 Kits scheduled to arrive this Monday)

Message delivered to hlyin...@yahoo.com