I keep getting private e-mail asking what were the symptoms and what fixed
the problem.
The radio was shipped back to me after a trip to the factory for an upgrade
and repair.
The radio came back and once it was hooked up, I joined a group of people
that I talk to all the time.
Everyone said that my audio did not sound right. The intermittently it would
go from just okay to terrible. I had one of the guys I talk with watch me on
his pan adaptor and it showed spikes and a very dirty signal. I contacted
Elecraft by e-mail on the weekend and first thing Monday Morning Howard from
Elecraft had called me and left message for me to return his call. I
returned his call and he walked me though all of my settings. Then after
everything checked out he said that he had see something similar to this and
explained what he thought it might be. Howard told me that if I removed the
fans and circuit breaker panel off of the back side I would be able to see
where the amp connected in. Howard e-mailed me two pictures one the correct
way and the other was one they had found the caused a similar problem. I
pulled the plate off of my radio and sure enough the amplifier was not
seated all the way down in the connector. I pushed down on the amp board and
it seated completely with the connecting board. I then loosened all the
screws on both the board and the amp and made sure they were seated and then
retightened the screws. My K3 is now functioning great. I don't know how it
came loose, but it did. It could have been loosened and moved during
shipping, I do not know. I took a picture of the connector before I secured
it, but I do not know how to post a picture of it here.
Okay hope this answers everyone's questions and hopefully if someone ever
has these symptoms and research the forum they will be helped by this too.
Thanks
Gerald - KC6CNN

-----
KC6CNN - Gerald