Just checked my system with HRD/DM780.

Radio MODE set for TX Data.
MENU for MIC SEL set for Line In and value about 10 to 20.
Set computer SPEAKERS value for about 20 to 30.
Be sure correct CODEC is selected in DM-780.
Adjust slider on HRD/DM780 Soundcard for about 4 bars of ALC on radio. Slider value about 75.
Set PWR output on radio for 50 watts.

Be sure nothing is connected to Line IN on rear of radio. I only use the single USB cable between computer and radio.

All works for me.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163