May I suggest that there are as many "flavors" of keyers and key timings as
there are Hams.

Back in my non-Amateur brass pounding days in Military and maritime work we
each had our own "bug" which we carried to our jobs. Woe to him who would
dare to touch another operator's key, because the springs, contacts and
throw adjustments had been set for the owner's fist.

Moving on to electronic and squeeze keying I, like many others, built my own
homebrew keyer. It my case it was an "Accukeyer" which used what is now
called Mode A.

Once again, my key(er) and paddles travelled with me.

I was pleased to discover, when I built my first Ele-rig in 2000 (a K2),
that its keyer worked just fine with my "fist" trained on the Accukeyer.

But, even back in 2000, there were those who said subtle timing differences
between what they were used to and the Elecraft keying algorithm was
troubling.

A big part of it is the setup of the paddles, but after 15 years of this
being discussed on this very reflector, there may be more to it.

You do have the opportunity to adjust the dash/dot ratio in the MENU of a
K3, K3S or KX3 (MENU:CW WGHT). That will affect the overall timing.

Beyond that, I recommend playing with the throw (contact spacing) and spring
tension on your paddles.

73, Ron AC7AC