From: "Fred Jensen" <k6...@foothill.net>
Sent: ‎30/‎10/‎2015 7:15 AM
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Which of these would make the best power supply forthe
K3(S)?

I deleted all but the last post in this thread

On 10/29/2015 1:41 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> There is nothing better than a rock solid Astron power supply.  I am
> yet another guy who leaves the Astron on 24x7 unless we leave for
> vacation of more than a day.  My Astrons (I have two) are Linear
> because in the rare case that they need some repair I am more easily
> able to repair them (less complicated).  So far, none of my Astrons
> have failed so that is a weak reason for a linear supply.

My Astron experience hasn't been quite as stellar as many of the others
on this list.  In mountain-top repeater/remote service, we've had
several that have never failed despite some fairly severe environmental
conditions.  We've also had a couple that have failed.  I took one apart
and was quite surprised at the construction of at least that one ...
ground wires wrapped around a loose screw [no lugs], "floating"
components, and the like.  The intermittent problem turned out to be
paint under a lug with a loose screw.

> Well, I do
> like them because they are heavy and are better at staying in one
> place.

I power my K3 with a Yaesu FP-1030A [linear and heavy] that came with an
FT-847 I no longer have. It's set at 14.8 V and the meter needle might
just as well be painted on the glass because it never ever moves. At 100
W, the voltage on the inside of the APP's on the back drops to 14.6 V.

It's also good at securing the desk during gravity outages. :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016