Thanks for the reply Guy.

I understand your rationale for aligning IF and DSP filters for
additional out-of-passband rejection in crowded contest conditions.

My concern stems from using IF shift to move the DSP filter within the
roofing filter passband. The Elecraft rep I spoke to last week told me
that the 8 Mhz IF roofing filter and the DSP filters do not track. The
roofing filter is fixed and will present a fixed bandwidth in which the
DSP filter can operate. Therefore, there will be an interaction between
the two filters, the fixed roofing filter, and the DSP filter which can
be moved higher or lower with the IF Shift control. If the roofing
filter and the DSP filter have the same bandwidth, the interaction
between the filter skirts creates a high cut or low cut condition
depending upon the direction of the IF shift. If the IF can be shifted
enough, a stop-band condition occurs and all signals disappear.

I am primarily a "search and pounce" contester, but I can appreciate
your desire to have the sharpest combined filter skirts to keep the
adjacent run station from getting into your bandpass. However, my
limited experience with "run" contesting revealed that extremely sharp
filters are a double-edged sword because of the inability to hear
off-frequency callers. In fact, I think there is an option in the K3S
menu system that provides for higher shape factor DSP filters in order
to allow off-frequency caller to be heard. In the S&P contest mode, I
also want very sharp DSP filters, but I want them to exist within a
wider roofing filter bandwidth so that I can use the IF shift to
discriminate between signals in that passband. If my DSP filter and my
roofing filter are about the same bandwidth, I can't use the IF shift
effectively because its filter skirts will interact with the roofing
filter skirts and cause an undesirable high cut or low cut resultant
filter response, or worse, the dreaded stop-band condition.

Another consequence of cascading a roofing filter and a DSP filter of
the same bandwidth in a run contest mode is that the only recourse to
hear an off-frequency caller is to engage the RIT (since engaging IF
shift with result in the above stated undesirable resultant filter
response curves). When I am in "run" contest mode, especially in very
crowded conditions, using RIT changes the pitch of every station that is
audible, and I just don't like to lose my awareness of where each
station is. I much prefer to use the IF shift to "highlight" the caller
I want to contact without changing the pitch of every single station.
Therefore, I hope you can see why I would not want to have a roofing
filter that is too narrow for the DSP filter that I plan two use in
combination with IF shift. Since I like to use the 100 hz DSP filter
bandwidth, I would not chose the 200hz roofing filter as an option
because it would severely limit the amount of IF shift that I could use
with a 100hz DSP filter. If I were not a fan of IF shift, I would do
what you are doing, cascade the 200hz roofing filter and use the 100 or
200 hz DSP filter.

In summary, I am hoping that the DSP filters have very steep skirts to
maximize the IF shift that can be used before the DSP filter skirts
interact with the roofing filter skirts. If you have any data on the
narrow DSP filter plots, please let me know.

Charles K5UA