Charles,

I believe most operators use the RIT control rather than IF Shift to tune for off frequency stations. The IF shift is normally used to reduce interference from an "offending station". That along with the Width control can isolate a single station with ease and with the 50 Hz minimum DSP bandwidth, operation in a crowded band segment can actually be a pleasure - unless an extra strong signal gets past the roofing filter passband and activates the hardware AGC.

When you get your K3S, give it a try and I think you will find the use of RIT to be more effective.

Of course, if you ordered the KRX3, you can always go to SPLIT and eliminate the need for using RIT. Split will cover a much greater range than RIT. The KRX3 is not required to operate SPLIT, but if you want to dynamically listen to your transmit frequency and the desired signal at the same time, the KRX3 is the only way to do that. Without the KRX3, you can use the REV button to temporarily listen to your transmit frequency, but you will not hear both frequencies at the same time with the REV button.

Yes, I realize this is a bit different than the discussion of filter shapes and the interaction of the roofing filter with the DSP filtering. If it is not relevant, then please ignore my comment.

73,
Don W3FPR