Having a constant slope makes a lot of engineering sense. I believe, at least at some bandwidths, the K3 offers both IIR and FIR (infinite and finite impulse response filters). For data modes, FIR filters are better, as they are linear phase filters. The skirt slope of such a filter is directly proportional to the number of taps used in the filter (the number of old samples added together). Having a large number of taps increases the processing load on the DSP, so will be limited by the need to work within the processing power of the DSP device. Also longer filters mean larger group delays.

IIR's have variable group delays and ring, but can produce responses that could only be approximated by very long FIR filters.

Incidentally, merging the roofing and DSP filter edges is likely to compromise the good group delay, and lack of ringing, characteristics of the FIR filters.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123