On 2/8/06 3:14 PM, "Gil Stacy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have seen advertised front end protectors recommended for use when
> utiilzing a separate antenna for receive.  Does the K2's RANT option on the
> 160 board offer sufficient protection for use with a separate preamp and RX
> antenna or is it prudent to use a front end protector such as designed by
> KD9SV?
> Thanks,

The K2 is the only current production HF transceiver that I know of that has
the "front-end saver" built in. The RECEIVE ANTENNA RELAY, K2 on the K160RX
board, disconnects the RX antenna during transmissions. If you're running a
standalone station, no problem.

In an SO2R or other multi-station contest environment (or if you have a "big
gun" station next door), you will probably need to take additional
protective measures. Your best bet is to get a copy of "Managing
Interstation Interference" by W2VJN (George of INRAD fame). He does a great
job of describing the problems and solutions.

Gus Hansen, KB0YH