Gil,

I doubt that a 'front-end protector' would be required on the K2 RANT
input - the input path is through D3 and D4 in the T/R switch, and both are
back biased with the 8T signal during transmit - so as long as the peak
signal on the receive antenna is less than the bias voltage on the diodes (8
volts), the signal should not get through - OK, consider 2,67 volts for a
safety factor of 3).  If you feel that this is not good enough, you may want
to install a pair of back to back diodes directly across the receive antenna
jack.

As for the protection of a separate receive preamp - I can give no response
since I know nothing about your particular preamp and connections - again, a
pair of back to back diodes (1N4148 or similar) across the preamp input
should provide adequate protection if required - a couple of 1N4148 diodes
is likely much less expensive than a commercial 'front-end protector', and I
would guess that such a device is nothing more than a pair of diodes (of
course, I am speaking from ignorance since I have not investigated any such
devices).

73,
Don W3FPR