After staring at Knut's KIO3B spectrum with an XG3 signal source, I am
wondering how much of that spectrum can be attributed to the KIO3B and how
much is due to the K3S RF chain and XG3 phase noise and harmonics.

I tried a different approach with my K3 and DigiKeyer keeping everything at
AF and avoiding the RF and XG3 related variables - I think.

I sent the K3 a 1 kHz test tone to LINE IN while the K3 was keyed in TX TEST
mode.  At the same time an instance of Spectrum Lab analyzed the return
audio (i.e. the monitor audio returned over LINE OUT).

The resulting spectrum lacks the significant harmonics Knut observed
although I show some AC spectra (fundamental + 3rd, 5th and 7th harmonics)
which might be attributable to my DigiKeyer sitting directly above the
KPA500's transformer.

<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n7612159/1_kHz_test_tone.png>

Is analaysis of recovered transmit audio while in TX TEST a viable way to
eliminate the RF and XG3 related variables or have I missed something?  If
it is viable, I would be interested in the same being done with a KIO3B for
comparison purposes.

73,

Dan
AE9K