I took four exams from 1948(Class C) given by W5CEO through 1952 at the FCC
Office in Dallas(Extra). None of these were code groups.
73  Don  K5AQ

    On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:18 PM, Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net>
wrote:

 Just for my own edification, were code groups ever part of the
commercial exams?

It's been nearly a lifetime, but I sat for the 2nd Telegraph in 1956 [I
was almost 16], and I vaguely think I remember two parts to the code
element -- plain text and groups.  I also very vaguely think I remember
the speeds were different [20 and 25?  or maybe the other way around?
or maybe not].

It was an accident.  I intended to sit for the Extra since I had just
passed the 2 yr service requirement and got to the FCC in the morning
just before the telegraph exams.  The Extra was in the afternoon.  He
told me to fill out the app and if I passed I'd get credit for the
telegraph element on the Extra.

I was closest to that intimidating Boehme tape reader with the "steam
gauge" speed dial, and ... not making this up ... the examiner had
garters on the sleeves of his shirt and a green eyeshade.  I passed, he
gave me the written exam ["What's to lose?" he said] which I passed
exactly.  Lots of M-G set questions which I didn't know, but using
maritime circuits for code practice paid off in operating knowledge I guess.

I'd appreciate actually knowing if groups were part of the exam since I
can't trust my memory.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club