I took 3 FCC code exams: the 5wpm for my novice in 1973, and years later, the
13wpm for the Advanced and the 20wpm for the Extra. But ironically, I think
the FCC removing the code requirement was a good thing for CW in amateur
radio. Now that people aren't forced to learn it and have to use it, and
potentially develop a bad taste in their mouths for it in the process,
they're more attracted to it as another activity they can pursue in the
hobby. Just like the digital modes and so forth. The FCC no longer practices
"mode discrimination" and amateurs are free to use whatever mode they like.

I've heard it said that CW usage has actually gone up since the CW
requirements were dropped, and I believe it. The lower end of 20 meters is
essentially unusable when a CW contest is going on, or at least it's good
thing I have rigs like my K's that can handle 800 S9+30db sigs every kc in
the band hi hi.

So to bring it back around to Elecraft, I should think the incentive to
continue to support strong CW capabilities in the K rigs will continue to be
there for quite a long time....

73,
LS
W5QD