Ian:
I agree with the observations about the delay times when using the
KDVR3.  If you're a S&P, 1 QSO/hr kind of operator, then it's probably
not a big deal.  At 200+ Qs/hr, the delays are noticeable (and
aggravating). On March 11th of this year, I sent a feature request to
the reflector asking for some method to get around these delays.
Unfortunately, I never heard any response from Elecraft.

You can reduce the initiate delay by being "fast on the buttons," but,
as I found, it's not something I want to do during a contest.

The KDVR3 is nice that it's integrated into the K3 so that another box
and cables don't have to be thrown into my bag when traveling.

73 charlie, k1xx/vp2mmf