I find that the delay at the beginning and end of a K3 DVR recording is
100% controllable by me and with a minor amount of practice can be set
where needed to incorporate a proper "breath pause" to make concatenated
messages sound natural, or start and end right at the waveform edges.

Since I use N1MM to control the repeat timing, something which really needs
to be adjusted as the contest goes on, the K3 timing is not an issue. The
N1MM repeat delay is a function key input, extremely handy and fast. To me
anyway, using MM for controlling repeat time is far superior than anything
you could put in the radio. Alt+R and Ctrl+R work spiffy and don't involve
moving my fingers off the keyboard, or putting a pause in my transmissions
that could lose my run frequency.

Though I will say that I rarely use anything shorter than the K3's default
repeat timing. Any longer pause can be created by a little extra pause
before and after in the recording, so I really don't get what the fuss is
on that score.

For SSB contesting, I record everything, except numbers and letters for
call signs and serial numbers, in the eight memories used by the DVR. The
N1MM function key strings include K3 DVR invocation strings. These are
eight simple ones I always have loaded in N1MM SSB function key
definitions, and leave in the four primary memories for casual DX when I
don't have MM running.

###################
#   RUN Messages
###################
f1m1 CQ,{CATA1ASC SWT21;}
f2m2 Exch,{CATA1ASC SWT31;}
f3m4 73,{CATA1ASC SWT39;}
f4m3 K2AV,{CATA1ASC SWT35;}

###################
#   S&P Messages
###################
f1 Spare,-
f2m2 Exch,{CATA1ASC SWT31;}
f3 Spare,-
f4m3 K2AV,{CATA1ASC SWT35;}

I got used to the K3 memory key contents before I started using the
CATA1ASC commands, and that's why the F key numbers and the Memory key
numbers aren't the same. When things get busy, I remember all of that by
position, not number, more of a muscle memory thing. So I put the M key
numbers in the MM F key button texts.

It's seamless and I find voice to mic, to K3, with K3 voice processing
saved in the memories, from listener comments, to be superior in
non-distorted-sounding punch to anything else I have ever used with my
simply-awful-for-radio soft voice with muted sibilants. They say me over
the K3 doesn't sound like me at all AND that me-over-the-K3 is much easier
to understand and listen to :>). I'll take that. Certainly seems to work in
the contests.

One of my PVRC acquaintances, hearing this for the first time in the SS
SSB, remarked over the air, "Your computer voice keying sounds really
great, much better than you in person."

As usual, YMMV.

73, Guy K2AV