You're right Jorge, it is a real problem when using on-line systems such as eQSL and LoTW as well as for contest log checking. The reverse situation occurs often too. You sign JA/CX6VM but I log it as CX6VM. If someone signs K6XXX/7, do I log it as received or as K6XXX. All depends on how he will submit it, and that depends on why he thought it necessary to send /7. It gets even more complicated between the US and Canada:

In every case except Canada, the US rules tell a visiting amateur to sign the <US_call_area>/<home_call_sign>. Thus in the last CWT, I worked W5/MM0LID. However Canadian hams are to sign their <home_call>/<US_call_area>. I have no idea why, but if I were operating in British Columbia, I'd be K6DGW/VE7. How much of that would get logged is sort of up in the air.

Ignoring the costs for a moment, that is an advantage of hard copy QSL cards ... you can annotate them with special circumstances, such as remote operation, which is occurring more frequently these days.

Costs tend to follow the world economy. In the mid-50's, I could mail a domestic card for $0.03 but of course, $0.05 would also buy me an ice cream cone or a candy bar, and it cost $0.15 to ride the bus/streetcar/urban train down to the FCC office in downtown Los Angeles. Most ice cream cones now are in the general range of #3.00 for one scoop. :-)

I will respond to Bureau QSL cards that say "Pse QSL." If someone sends me a card direct, I always respond. I operate W7RN remote, and sometimes on-site. Tom has a vast-ish array of "real" QSL cards under the glass on desks at the opr positions. Fun to read.

73,

Fred K6DGW(/7?)
Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club