-----Original Message-----
From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:donw...@embarqmail.com]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Skimmer and the K3S

Pete,

I think you are mixing too many things together, and they are not
necessarily related.
Let me try to 'unravel the ball of twine' for you.

The birdies/mirror images you encountered are not the fault of LP-Pan, but
instead related to either your soundcard cables or the capability of the
Panadapter display software that you were using.

[pjd] I have tried four different sound cards on a very powerful PC (i7/32GB
RAM/SSD that has tons of processor, drive and RAM headroom, with virtually
nothing running), the birdies are identical with all the different sound
cards. I stuck with the Xonar U5. I've been over the level settings a
hundred times and that's not the issue. I believe I read somewhere that an
xtal oscillator inside the LP is the cause. There is nothing I can do to fix
it.

 >>Since you now have the P3 and are apparently happy with it for the
Panadapter display,  I suggest you continue to use it.
 >>BUT,  you cannot display Skimmer on the P3.
[pjd] I never did. I use the IF OUT from the K3S backplane to the IF IN on
the P3, then use the IF OUT from the P3 (setting the switch on the back to
open that port up) to feed into the LP-PAN.

[pjd] >>Connect the K3 IF output to both the P and the LP-Pan (use a BNC T
adapter).
[pjd] See above.

Connect the LP-Pan I/Q outputs to your computer soundcard and load
Skimmer on your computer.    Configure CW Skimmer to use that soundcard
and it will display whatever is within it's "hearing range".  The document
at http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/Files/Skimmerintro.pdf may be helpful
with your setup.

[pjd] Yes, this was all done when I bought the LP-PAN and Skimmer. It IS
working as best it can, but it cannot do what I need it to do, and that's
why I'm posting here--unless I've completely misunderstood the LP-PAN
limitations. That device seems to only allow me to see something like 22 kHz
on either side of my tuned frequency. If I'm working at 14.022, that's
great. I can see 14.000 to 12.044. If I'm S&Ping at 14.095 I'm kinda hosed.

I reiterate, I need to be able to see then entire CW sub-band (or as much as
possible), from 14.000 to 14.100 at least. I'd be good with a 96 kHz spread
(14.0-14.096), INDEPENDENT of where my 2nd VFO is tuned. I do not believe
LP-PAN can achieve this desired goal, but again, I could be mistaken.

 >>Note carefully, you do not have to run NaP3 or other panadapter
applications - CW Skimmer is independent of those.
[pjd] That's good, because I don't' want to run any of those. I just want
the decoded calls to show up on my bandmap.

If you need to run other PC applications (loggers and other rig control
applications) that each want to use the COM port connection to your K3 (in
addition to CW Skimmer) - only one application can talk with the K3 at the
same time.  Enter LP-Bridge or Com-O-Com which create virtual ports on your
PC.  IMHO LP-Bridge is a good choice for use with the K3, but all your
applications that want to talk with the K3 will talk instead to their own
LP-Bridge virtual ports - only LP-Bridge connects directly to the K3.

[pjd] LP- Bridge will not work on my system, period. I've tried for months
to make it play and it just won't. It's also probably not necessary for what
I want to do. I get failure after failure, and I'm 99% sure it's conflicting
with MicroHam Router (software I desperately wish I could dispense with
forever, but I can't achieve half the functionality of my station without a
MicroKeyer-II).