Peter W2IRT wrote
> My previous setup for a DXpedition pileup was to put the pileup on VFO-A,
> the DX on SUB (locked), and see all the callers on Skimmer's interface.
> Find
> the guy sending 5NN TU and pounce. The only problem was that everything
> from
> about 4 to 6 kHz above the DX frequency gets obscured by the
> birdies/mirror
> images on the skimmer display. And since most big DXpeditions split up, I
> would lose a ton of callers in that murky no-man's land. The skimmer
> turned
> out to be no help at all on some of the massive DXpeditions earlier this
> spring as a result. The exception was Heard Island, who were split down,
> rather than up. That worked like a champ on a few bands where the pileup
> was
> insane.

I don't know about the K3S but I've been doing this with the K3 for many
years.  I even wrote a macro for fast setup which I published 5 years ago:

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Pileup-Buster-Macro-td6579405.html

It sounds to me like there could be a problem with the K3S's I-Q output
causing your birdies.  FWIW I never had any birdie issues using my K3,
LP-PAN and Audiophile 2496 soundcard.  I still prefer Skimmer's panadapter
because clicking the last "599" decoder dot will QSY your TX to the exact
frequency (within 10 Hz) once the system is calibrated...no need position a
cursor any closer than the decoder dot.

73 & GL!

Bill  W4ZV