      From: Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:57 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] how to optimize end-fed?

> Am I right to assume that the ATU settings with the lowest L is
 > always the best?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "best," but you said "always" so
I'd say no.  If the length of your wire is in the vicinity of n * 90
degrees where n is any odd integer, it will have a low-ish impedance at
the end and 1:1 would be appropriate [if your UNUN had it].  If the
length is around 180 degrees [or any integer multiple thereof] it will
exhibit a fairly high impedance.

How long is the wire?
What band?

If the 1:4, 1:9, and 1:16 that you quote are turns ratios, the impedance
transformation equals the square of them.  12,800 ohms and a 16:1 turns
ratio yields 50 ohms.  12 Kohms likely exceeds the impedance at the end
of a half-wave by quite a bit.

The Elecraft ATU losses are very low unless you're trying to match some
outrageous impedance at the end of or beyond it's useful range.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn