I think what the original question is missing is the fact that we are talking about the whole system, not just the inductor or the ATU.

The system is the final amplifier, the ATU, the feedline, the UNUN and the antenna.

If minimizing the loss in the ATU increases the loss elsewhere, then we aren't optimizing the whole system, probably the opposite.

From the subject, it's "how to optimize end-fed?" and without any other constraints.

On 2 meters, I've used a lot of J antennas, and found them to be pretty awesome performers. It's an end-fed half-wave, with a quarter wave matching section.

Build one out of wire for an HF band, and the same antenna is called a Zep.

Properly trimmed, you don't need a tuner, but they're single-band.

73 -- Lynn