Mel,

Your points are well taken when you are feeding an end-fed half wave or a radiator of a multiple of a half wave.

The ideal parallel tank circuit should be fed with a coupling coil that is isolated from the larger secondary coil - that reduces or eliminates common mode currents in the shack.

That solution is practical for open coil configurations where the user can tap the antenna to any point on the coil of the tuned circuit. However, the tapping choices are limited in a compact, portable implementation for use in portable operation which use toroids for the inductor.

We used to use those isolated link coupled ATUs constructed of open coil inductors where it was practical to tap the coil at any point, but today's world of toroid wound inductors, that is not as easy.

If one has a resonant parallel tuned circuit, it will match very high impedance, and a series tuned circuit will match very low impedance. The link coupling will provide isolation from common mode currents.

Those type of ATU's work very well with a wide range of antennas with varying feedpoint impedance.

However, the physical implementation of the ability to tap the antenna to any turn of the high impedance tuned resonant inductor requires a physically large coil. While it will work *very* well, it is not consistent with small ATUs used for portable operation.

If you have a fixed length radiator and work only a single band, you can devise a link coupled tuner that will do a great job, but if you are multiband, and do not want to fiddle with coil taps, the auto-transformer is a good compromise.

Yes, I still have my link coupled ATUs with plug-in coils for each band and also have a Johnson Matchbox which is also link coupled. They do the job well, but the convenience of toroid wound ATUs is an advantage in simplicity and convenience.

73,
Don W3FPR