Hi all,

Lots of good thoughts there. I should have mentioned a number of things: The connection is via a RS-232 cable, not by USB converter. There is only one "real" com port on this computer (COM 1) so I cannot check this by substitution unless I were to use a USB to RS-232 converter. The failure occurs with no RF output, and with any mode I have tried. The LPB version is 1.1.0; I only tried LPB2 as a way of using a slower baud rate, since LPB is fixed at 38K. LPB2 crashes as well! Re-starting LPB does not re-establish connections if other programs are used on the virtual ports; killing these other programs does restore connections. I have not carefully investigated a total power cycle.

As I noted before, the failure occurs without any other programs connected to the virtual COM ports, and indeed even when these COM ports have not been created.

Wiping the computer and reloading the OS seems a rather drastic cure for a small ill, especially when there is no guarantee that it will work. I do have another computer running XP, and have used LPB on it in the past. It's problem is that it is slow enough that when all the programs I want to run are on it, there are precious few CPU cycles left. This was why I got the Win 7 machine!

VA2FSQ's solution is possibly one way out. I will have to consider it and other similar options.

Thanks for all the good and very prompt feedback. BTW, in the time between my sending my first question and the present, the computer was left running with LPB on it alone, and it crashed, reading IS Q500!

George, W3HBM