A group of about 5 of my friends and I noticed this effect at a early 1970s Grateful Dead concert at the San Francisco Cow Palace. They were testing a new sound system which came to be called "The Wall of Sound". While the music was definitely loud, very loud, we could have a normal conversation with each other, something we had never been able to do at other concerts. We concluded that the very low harmonic and IMD distortions of the sound system made it easier to decode the (undistorted) acoustic speech.

This experience makes me very interested in the level of audio distortion in amateur radio audio chains. The 10% quoted for HTs is much too much for optimum copy. Copy is better if the audio chains are hifi quality for distortion.

73 Bill AE6JV