On Sat,12/31/2016 6:29 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
We concluded that the very low harmonic and IMD distortions of the sound system made it easier to decode the (undistorted) acoustic speech.

That system was highly respected by auidio pros at the time. The primary reason it was so clean was that each instrument was feeding its own vertical line array. Loudspeaker arrays like that produce a narrow beam in the vertical plane, but are wide in the horizontal plane. It's like stacking antennas. That narrow beam greatly reduces reverberation, which is what made the sound easy to understand. Another advantage of that system was that if you were reasonably close, you could localize each instrument aurally as well as visually. That also makes the sound cleaner. And yes, the distortion was probably lower, but the other two reasons I noted are probably the most important.

73, Jim K9YC