I believe you're correct Clay. I think our ears/brain can integrate the overall signal, and the noise, if more or less random, will recede into the background. The desired CW signal will then stand out. I suspect that, were you to key noise similar to the background noise and that filled the receive BW, it would disappear for a listener as soon as it's mean amplitude fell to the background level.

This may also explain why, the more you talk, the less your teenager hears.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club