From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill
Frantz
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:30 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Amplifiers in general

A group of about 5 of my friends and I noticed this effect at a early 1970s
Grateful Dead concert at the San Francisco Cow Palace. They were testing a
new sound system which came to be called "The Wall of Sound". While the
music was definitely loud, very loud, we could have a normal conversation
with each other, something we had never been able to do at other concerts.
We concluded that the very low harmonic and IMD distortions of the sound
system made it easier to decode the (undistorted) acoustic speech.

This experience makes me very interested in the level of audio distortion in
amateur radio audio chains. The 10% quoted for HTs is much too much for
optimum copy. Copy is better if the audio chains are hifi quality for
distortion.

73 Bill AE6JV

delivered to k9...@live.com