Bruce,

The most probable answer is that you are not driving sufficient audio into the K3. You must have 4 bars solid on the K3 ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing - this is the NO ALC point for the K3, ignore the internet advice which applies to non-Elecraft transceivers.

The fact that you can hear the signal says it is getting to the K3, but says nothing about the level.

Adjust the soundcard slider in your computer to about 75%.

Make certain the Navigator is set for Line Level output and not MIC level.

Then you should be able to adjust the K3 MIC Gain (really Line In gain) to achieve the required number of ALC bars. You can do that setup in TX TEST so you are not generating RF, or connect the K3 to a dummy load.

Once you achieve the proper audio level, set your desired power level with the POWER knob.

73,
Don W3FPR