From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 7:28 PM
To: James Walker <jimmy.wal...@outlook.com>; N2TK, Tony <tony....@verizon.net>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 - stuck at MCU LD we upgrading software

Jimmy,

You should see little voltage sag on transmit, especially at QRP levels.

Compare the voltage directly at your power supply terminals between
receive and transmit. If it stays up, then check your power cable to
the K3 for adequate size wire and good connections. If you have a DC
power distribution device like the RigRunner, remove the K3 from it and
connect direct from the power supply to the K3.

OTOH, if the voltage at the terminals droops during transmit, open the
power supply cover and remove the bolt terminals - clean the solder lugs
on the inside and the bolts, then reassemble making certain the bolts
are tight. If those bolts turn even a little bit when tightening the
external bolts, they are not tight. You must have tight connections at
the power supply.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 1/28/2017 3:49 PM, James Walker wrote:
> Yours is not the Astron power supply I was using. Mine was the 35A,
> transformer style, not switching, with dual meters. I’m still using it for
> other radios with no problem. And yes, I did check the voltage reading on the
> K3/100 and it did reduce severely under any load, even QRP. That’s a strange
> quirk in the equipment but I think that’s it.
>
> Jimmy Walker
> WA4ILO
> Macon, GA

Message delivered to