From: "Mike Morrow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K1 tuning range

> >Thanks to the list for the comments and suggestions on K1 tuning range.
>
> Claims that the full 180 kHz tuning range of the K1 is too touchy or hard
to use are way overstated.  Perhaps it would be if one were operating from a
tank over bumpy obstacles.

> I've used the 180 kHz tuning range for more than five years on my K1.  The
problem is *not* that the frequency changes too fast while tuning.  It
doesn't.  Rather, the real problem results from the the VFO potentiometer
having very very little resistance to rotational motion.  This makes it hard
to remove one's fingers from the dial without imparting some small amount of
undesired pot motion.

> The solution to this problem is very easy.  Get some thin felt material
and cut out several "washers" to place between the back of the VFO knob and
the front panel.  Put in just enough until you get that small amount of
rotational resistance that allows the dial to remain in position as you let
go of it.

> Capability of full 40m CW band coverage in those regions that allow
operation to 7150 kHz more than makes up for any perceived disadvantage.
There's a lot up there.  Then there's the bonus of being able to copy 10000
kHz WWV on the 30m band (but you'll have to install that alternate 30m
hetrodyne crystal to get that).