From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Brown
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 11:28 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Vacuum Relays and 30 WPM QSK

On Sun,2/26/2017 3:04 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> But even though the K3 is cycling TX/RX very fast the 8410 is not
> banging the vacuum relay to death trying to follow 30 wpm dits. 30 wpm
> QSK*does* significantly shorten relay time to failure. Contesting,
> I've worn some out in less than a year.

I own three very nice vintage Ten Tec amps that use vacuum relays. All of
them came to me used, and I've replaced those relays in each amp at least
once. After a few rounds of that, I stopped running QSK with those amps. :)
I'd like to hear from others having experience with vacuum relays and QSK at
contesting speeds. I mostly work between 28 and 32 WPM. The original
equipment relays were Jennings, and I've mostly used Gigavac as
replacements. I haven't had to replace one since giving up on QSK about 8
years ago, but I really would like to run QSK. Have I made the right
decision to avoid it when running with a vacuum relay?

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to tony....@verizon.net