With all due respect, gents, section 97.1 is not what we in the legal biz call
substantive.  It is an introductory preamble included there originally for
political purposes, and after enactment for purposes of interpreting the
regulations that are substantive, when questions about interpretation arise.
The substantive regulations go from 97.2 ro 97.527, though there aren’t nearly
526 of them.  Those are the sections that tell us what we can and, about as
frequently, what we cannot do.   The statement of purpose is legally speaking
neither a grant of specific operational authority nor itself a limitation.

As for international communications, the proscription of some forms of
political discourse was not uniquely a product of the Soviet Union.  The U.S.
law is in 47 C.F.R. §97.117   “International communications:
Transmissions to a different country, where permitted, shall be limited to
communications incidental to the purposes of the amateur service [namely, the
list in 97.1] and to remarks of a personal character.”

I have not researched whether there are any judicial opinions or FCC policy
statements that further explain that substantive rule.

All of that said, nothing that anyone has written in this thread which they
enjoy or dislike seems to me to be outside the scope of our legal authority.
**HOW** we do it technically and in some respects operationally (e.g.
deliberate interference) is of course subject to lots of rules.  But the rest
is a matter of culture, tradition, preference, and simple operating courtesy.
On those things I do not opine.  I do what I enjoy.  Within the scope of the
substantive law, of course.

Ted, KN1CBR (and a lawyer)

    Message: 5